Main Index
History Index
Modeling Index

Trail Index



New Jersey Herald - April 13, 1905 issue

Fatal Accident At Andover

Stewart South Run Down by Milk Train While Walking the Track

Last Thursday evening the milk train on its trip to Netcong, ran over Stewart South, a former resident of Newton, midway between the L. & H. R. railroad junction and Andover, killing him instantly. For several months past South had been living with a man named William Benson, near Chester, Orange County. Thursday afternoon he came to Andover on the L. & H. R. railroad train on his way to Newton. While waiting for the Sussex train due at this place at 6:10, he decided to visit the borough of Andover, leaving orders for his trunk to be sent to Newton on the evening mail train. He was about Andover for some time, and after learning that the mail train had gone through, he started up the track for the junction to see about his trunk. About half way between the two points, the Engineer discovered South walking on the track toward the train. He sounded an alarm, when South stepped from the track. As the train approached him he suddenly staggered or stepped back onto the track directly in front of the locomotive. He was hurled several feet in front of the locomotive and the engine and front trucks of the first car passes over his body, severing the head and both legs. The air brakes were applied and the train stopped within a short distance of the accident. Coroner Dr. J.C. Clark was notified, and after viewing the remains and learning the facts concerning the accident, decided that an inquest was not necessary. Dr. Clark notified Hawk & Kyte, undertakers of this town, to take charge of the body, which was brought to their rooms the same evening, and the sons of the deceased notified. The funeral services were held at the home of James Benson on Water street Sunday afternoon, interment in the Newton Cemetery. The deceased was 43 years of age, and is survived by five sons, all grown to manhood and three brothers. One son was killed by the cars at Greycourt about two months ago.